Churches‎ > ‎

Westow

St Mary, Westow

The church was once known as St Mary of the moor or St Mary ad mora. It is thought to be built on Saxon foundations, and originally placed there as a monk’s cell, with a beacon light to guide people over the wolds from the monasteries of Bridlington and Beverley to Kirkham Priory. Rebuilt almost entirely in 1862 in the Early English style, using some of the ancient stone, some of the early memorials are built into the fabric. However, the tower is Norman, as is the font with cable decoration and the piscina.

Inside it has many interesting facets, including a rare cresset stone, thought to have come from Kirkham Priory, and a memorial to George Montaigne, Squire of Westow, who fought on the Royalist side as a cavalry officer in the Civil War of 1642. There are many other memorials and hatchments including the Royal Coat of Arms of George III positioned over the nave.

The original church was much larger, with a clerestory, the marks of which appear on the outside of the tower. The churchyard is large and contains burials from Westow, Firby and Menethorpe. It is situated almost a mile from the village, and is kept locked because of this. Keys can be obtained from churchwardens and other Village Church Council members.


Churchwardens: Mrs Jane Wegelius and Simon Hogge


Comments