Churches‎ > ‎

Settrington with Scagglethorpe

All Saints, Settrington

Set on the eastern fringe of this handsome estate village, All Saints is an outstanding example of a church which has grown in conjunction with the 'Big House' which stands directly next to it it, Settrington House. This continues an ancient tradition, whereby the protecting arm of the the family comes out into the church. 

The church is the largest in our United Parish, and still holds some of our most important services. Visitors are of course welcome, and there is much to enjoy during a visit. The interior is a delight, light flowing in from the many windows. There are 13th Century arcades with fine columns, and a rare flat plaster ceiling, an example of 17th Century secularisation.

The 19th Century chancel is very fine, built in 1867-8 by JL Pearson on medieval footings, and would have seemed strikingly modern to the late Victorians. There is a handsome herringbone cieling and a fine floor with inserted marble stones. Among the many good monuments are a fine piece by Fishers of York in rococo style, and a lovely brass of 1666 mentioning the civil war - ‘in time of war’. There are many 'Mousey' Thompson pews and other woodwork by his Kilburn studio.

The east window has glass by Clayton & Bell, from around 1868,  featuring the deep ruby reds that are so characteristic of Clayton & Bell work. 

The south aisle chapel features a very fine arrangement by George Pace from 1951, where the 15th Centry and mid-20th Century ‘touch hands’ sympathetically. This side chapel is used for many of the smaller services that take place in the church.

At the back of the church, note the tower doorway with shiplap construction under an ogee arch from the 14th Century.

The fine tower itself is from the 15th Century, rising in three levels. 


Churchwardens: John Cleverly, J Durrant and Mrs Jane Ramsden





Comments